When all or most of your natural teeth are lost, the condition is called edentulism. The traditional removable dentures have been the mainstay for edentulism treatment for decades. Most individuals who have no teeth in one or both jaws find removable dentures an economical way to restore their lost smile. Yet dentures are not always so easy to wear:
- They slip when you try to eat or speak
- A loose denture can make you feel self-conscious, and prevent you from eating a nutritious diet.
- Removable dentures also cause bone loss in the jaw over time.
- Their biting power of dentures is only 25 percent of the natural teeth.
Fortunately, with the advancement in the technology and in the field of dentistry there is a simple way to prevent all these problems:
‘Supporting your removable dentures with dental implants’- Also known as ‘Snap-on Dentures’.
You must have heard that the dental implants act as lifelike replacements for individual missing teeth, and is of great benefit to those who still have many of their natural teeth.
When you have no teeth left in one or both jaws, putting in a dental implant for every tooth is not economically feasible.
An excellent solution is simply to place as few as two to four dental implants in the upper and lower jaws to support a removable denture so that it does not come loose and such dentures are called ‘implant supported dentures.’ Implant-supported dentures are the dentures that are attached to dental implants in the jawbone. Unlike conventional dentures, such dentures can also be removed, but provide improved function and retention when compared to conventional dentures, which may become unstable over time or require refitting.
Though the dentures are attached to the implants they can still be taken out for cleaning and maintenance.
Implant-supported dentures are a great option for patients as they are the middle ground between the conventional denture that uses adhesives for retention and the more expensive advanced full-arch dental implants.
It is a goodoption for individuals who are seeking an affordable option to significantly improve their chewing ability by including fruits, vegetables, and other foods in their diet and would typically have to avoid with traditional dentures. It significantly improves patients’ confidence to smile and speak.
Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
- An affordable option for improvement in the ability to chew and smile
- They are stable and don’t need an adhesive.
- They function more like natural teeth
- The denture can be removable, and so it is easy to clean and maintain.
- They preserve gum tissue and bone.
What is the Process for Placing Implant-Supported Dentures?
Your first appointment will be an initial consultation between you and the dentist to discuss what the process and care plan would be, if implant-supported dentures are right for you.
Further after the consultation, once you decide to move forward with the treatment, the implants are placed. It takes around 3-6 months for the implants to integrate with the bone. For the waiting period your existing denture becomes the interim denture after the implant surgery.
After 3- 6 months, the patient gets a new denture that snaps-on to their implants. The process is simple and includes a series of appointments with your dentist.
Our implant specialist is one of the best implant dentists in Delhi. He has an experience of 25 years and has done over 22,000 implants until date.
An implant-supported denture offers a number of advantages for edentulism patients.
- Speech Enhancement – A patient with denture supported by implants will have a positive impact on speech ability and will benefit from the greater stability of the denture, particularly if you have had a tough time wearing traditional dentures.
- Hygiene- A removable denture allows better access to implant sites for cleaning and better hygiene. This reduces the risk of gum disease and further bone loss.
- Long-Term Maintenance- A well-designed removable over denture can make future maintenance easier to perform.
- Aesthetics- Removable dentures supported by implants can replace lost tissues and restore balance to the face, and often produce your remarkable ‘smile makeover.’
Let us now compare Traditional and Implant supported dentures.
While implant dentures are clearly preferable in many ways, they may not be ideal for every patient. In some cases, general health issues such as uncontrolled diabetes may make implants a less viable choice.
Dental implants in India is a sought after treatment across the globe as the tooth implants cost in India is relatively reasonable.
Tooth implant cost in Delhi is becoming more and more affordable as there is a range of prices from cost effective to premium branded implants.
The best way to determine the right replacement option for you is to schedule an exam at our clinic. To book an appointment with us in, ‘Smile Delhi – The Dental Clinic‘- call us on +91- 9811106871 or whatsapp Dr. Suprriya B Bhatia on +91-9811106377. You can also mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Care To Make You Smile.
Posted By – Dr Sonam