Impacted Wisdom Tooth Extraction India
Most adults have 32 teeth in their mouth, including four wisdom teeth, two in the corners of the upper jaw and two in the corners of the lower jaw.
The wisdom teeth or third molars are the last adult teeth to erupt usually between 17 and 25 years of age, although sometimes they appear many years later. The human jaw is decreasing day by day as our diet is getting more and more processed. So, people often have jaws that are too small to accommodate all 32 teeth; 28 teeth are often the most we have room for.
In many people, there is a discrepancy between the size of the teeth and the jaws. A person may have inherited the small jaw size from one parent and the big teeth size from another parent. When there is less space in the jaws to accommodate all the teeth in a comfortable manner, it’s the third molars whose alignment gets affected. Since the third molars do not get enough space, these wisdom teeth either get stuck in the bone and do not erupt at all or come out / erupt partially.
Due to this lack of space a third molar / wisdom tooth gets impacted / stuck in the bone. An impacted tooth is one that fails to fully emerge in the mouth. It emerges only partially through the gums as the jaw bone or neighbouring teeth block it from erupting and is thus entrapped within the jawbone.
If the wisdom teeth have not erupted enough to be visible in the mouth, it can lead to potential problems such as they can be partially or completely entrapped within the gums or jaw bone or only partially break through, or erupt, through the gums. When they are misaligned as they can get positioned horizontally, be angled toward or away from the second molars, may become twisted, tilted or displaced as they try to emerge, resulting in getting stuck in the bone.
Poor alignment or partial eruption can crowd or damage adjacent teeth by exerting pressure on them (due to lack of space). As wisdom teeth begin to erupt through the surface of the gums, pain can develop with the onset of inflammation and swelling of the surrounding gums. This mispositioning can lead to catch areas for food and cannot be cleaned. This encourages bacteria present in the mouth to react with the stuck food which can result in infection or damage to the other adjacent teeth, jaw stiffness and other dental problems. This pain will gradually increase with time as the wisdom teeth continue to grow in misaligned or sideways, pressing on nerves and bone, and crowding the surrounding teeth.
Wisdom teeth that lean toward the second molars or are partially erupted make those teeth more vulnerable to decay and gum disease by entrapping food, plaque and debris in the soft tissue around it as they are hard to clean and awkward positioning makes brushing and flossing difficult.
Partial eruption of the teeth can cause an opening and an easy path for the bacteria to enter.
Symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth caused by infection from bacteria
- Pain in the wisdom tooth area
- Inflammation of the gums
- Jaw stiffness
- Swelling of the jaw which may be visible externally
In advanced cases,
- There may be difficulty in swallowing
- Reduced mouth opening
Extraction or removal of the wisdom teeth, are routinely done in dental clinics in Delhi. The dentist takes a call, when the tooth needs removal. Dentists in Delhi, like in our clinic i.e. Smile Delhi – The Dental Clinic, usually get an oral surgeon, to do wisdom tooth removal.
The protocol that is usually followed in the Best dental clinics in Delhi / dental clinics in India is as follows.
In the initial appointment, the dentist discusses
- Any medical history the patient has
- If the patient is on any drugs or medicines
- Any allergies the patient might have
- The local anaesthetic which would be used
The patient needs to take the day off from work, college or school or arrange for a ride back home after the wisdom tooth removal procedure.
The surgery / procedure takes 45 minutes or less. The procedure is done under local anaesthesia. Since the gum is reflected and bone cutting is involved, some stitches are given. These stitches help to expedite the healing and are removed after 7 days.
The basic instructions to follow after the wisdom tooth surgery are as follows;
- A cotton pack is placed.
- This cotton is kept clenched for one hour.
- After one hour the cotton is removed, and the patient is advised to have something chilled like ice cream or cold coffee.
- The patient should take the advised medicine viz antibiotics and anti-inflammatory tablets.
- During the first 24 hours the patient is told not to spit, rinse or brush as the blood clot can get dislodged and bleeding can start again.
- No hot or hard food stuffs should be taken in the first 24 hours.
- Only soft and cold food stuffs should be taken.
- No smoking should be done in the first 24 hours as it delays healing.
- Cold ice external fomentation should be done 3 – 4 times in the first 24 hours.
- After 24 hours warm saline rinses of the mouth should be done.
- This helps in resolving any swelling that might have set in. The medicine regime should be followed as advised. The stitches are removed after 7 days.
You would like to know what is the wisdom tooth extraction cost in Delhi / wisdom teeth extraction cost in India?
The wisdom tooth extraction cost Delhi and the wisdom tooth extraction cost India depends on a few factors viz…
- The location of the clinic (dental clinic in South Delhi / wherever you are based)
- Expertise of the dentist in South Delhi / wherever you are based
- Sterilization being used by the clinic (the best dental clinics in Delhi does not compromise with the sterilization and hygiene protocols).
- Experience of the oral surgeon doing the work
- Reputation of the dental clinic in India
The wisdom tooth extraction cost Delhi is relatively very reasonable compared to the number of elimination of problems caused by the removal of the wisdom tooth.
The wisdom tooth extraction cost India is much more affordable than the countries in the west, thus patients from the first world countries often visit to get this treatment done.