Gum Depigmentation Treatment in India
Gum depigmentation is a cosmetic dentistry procedure used to remove dark discolouration or patches on the gums, to help patients achieve the healthy, aesthetically pleasing smiles they desire. The dark pigment does not indicate any disease or dysfunction, but it makes them look brown or black instead of pink, which could be an obstacle to an attractive smile.
The most common cause of darker pigments in the gums is genetics. Other causes for dark gums include smoking, and side effects from certain medications, or the possible effect of silver fillings on the gum. Gum pigmentation manifests differently for every patient. Some people notice small, dark spots on the gums, while others experience black or brown patches or blotches on the gums.
There are two methods to remove the pigmented area on the gums to reveal healthy, lighter-coloured tissue beneath. One is the calpel method (surgical) and the other is the laser depigmentation method. The main guideline is simply that the gums must be healthy.
- Most patients achieve a great outcome of lighter, more attractive gums after surgery by the scalpel method. This can be achieved in a single visit to the Dentist. It is done under a local anaesthetic to make the procedure as comfortable as possible.
- Patients are often pleasantly surprised by how quick the treatment is. Healing time is very quick and relatively painless for most of our patients. You will be able to eat and talk normally without any trouble as soon as the healing is completed.
- Only patients with extremely sensitive gums may experience slight discomfort for a very short period of time
Laser Gum Depigmentation Method
- Depigmentation is done by vaporizing and removing a thin top layer of the gum tissue, which destroys the cells that produce melanin. As new tissue is created during healing, it tends to be pink rather than brown.
- The treatment may require a local anaesthetic injection, and there is a short recovery time. It painlessly, safely and effectively eliminates any discolouration, so your gums appear more attractive and naturally pink.
- Moreover, the possibility of tissue damage and bleeding during the procedure is also eliminated, consequently patients can recover at a rapid pace.
Both procedures are safe so long as the protective measures are followed properly by the patient. We encourage all smokers to stop smoking completely, as smoking is one of the causes of such pigmentation. Gum depigmentation can help you achieve a healthy-looking smile.